The Galley team are the ones who provide all of the meals served on the ship. Working closely together, the team prepare and cook for everyone onboard.
Min. 3 Months
About this Role
Our Galley Team daily supplies the Crew, Day Crew, patients and caregivers with the food they need to keep on going. The Galley team will prepare up to 1,700 meals a day in a role that is mostly performed standing up and moving around, while keeping the best possible standards in hygiene.
What You Will Contribute
• Prepare and cook menu items in compliance with established recipes and standards.
• Assist in the setup and stocking of cooking stations with necessary supplies.
• Ensure cleanliness and organization of the galley area, adhering to sanitation standards.
• Adapt to any changes in the menu or galley procedures as directed by the Galley Team Leader, Senior Chef, or Food Services Manager.
• Assist with meal preparation and clean-up.
• Attend departmental meetings on all workdays.
For This Role, You Will Need
• Supportive of Mercy Ships mission and vision and committed to its core values.
- Prior cooking experience in a restaurant, fast food, cafeteria, or equivalent commercial kitchen is required.
• Culinary degree or relevant culinary training preferred.
• Certificate in food handling and safety standards through ServSafe is required before service.
• Understand and apply servant leadership, work collaboratively with integrity and demonstrate accountability.
• Able to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills.
• Ability to multitask and work well within a team dynamic.
• Able to lift 30 lbs./14 kg. regularly and have endurance for physical labor activities including bending, kneeling, and walking up and down stairs.
Full job description available upon request.