Volunteers from around the world providing free, safe surgical care, freeing people from conditions that have been burdening them for years, while training local professionals in our specialties.
These are our Operating Rooms.
Min. 2 Weeks
Min. 2 Weeks
About this Role
For women who have suffered injuries during childbirth, Mercy Ships women’s health program is transformative. Post-surgery, life comes back to these amazing, strong women. The women’s health team is there with them every step of the way.
Our Women’s Health Surgeons provide Obstetric Fistula repair to treat injuries resulting from traumatic childbirth or Gynecology surgical intervention to treat varied gynecologic conditions.
You will also manage post-operative care of surgical complications and prioritize patient selection.
What You Will Contribute
• Assessment of potential surgical candidates
• Communicate planned procedures, expected outcomes and potential complications clearly with patients and caregivers, using diagrams & translators when necessary
• Preoperative assessment of surgical candidates
• Work with anesthetic providers and hospital physicians
• Operate on selected candidates as scheduled
• Ongoing consultation for surgical patients
• Potential to train and mentor other Surgeons
For This Role, You Will Need
• Active licensure/ registration within home nation
• Minimum 2 years’ surgical practice following completion of specialty training program
• Sufficient and recent experience with Obstetric Fistula repair to be able to competently provide repairs as the lead or independent surgeon required
• Active in practice (within the previous six months preferred)
• Fluent in English
• Flexibility and sensitivity to language and cultural diversity
Full job description available upon request.