Volunteers from around the world providing free, safe surgical care, freeing people from conditions that have been burdening them for years, while training local professionals in our specialties.
These are our Operating Rooms.
Min. 2 Weeks
Min. 2 Weeks
This role is currently closed to applicants, but we’d love to help you find your place on board. By clicking the button below, you can sign up to receive updates when opportunities like this become available.
About this Role
The Mercy Ships’ Ophthalmic team literally restores sight to the blind through the treatment and surgical removal of cataracts and other ocular maladies.
Our Ophthalmic Surgeons provide ophthalmic surgery, consult on care of pre-operative and post-operative patients, and assist with screening as needed. Experienced surgeons may also provide training for national & international eye surgeons in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery and other Ophthalmic procedures.
What You Will Contribute
• Assessment of potential surgical candidates
• Communicate planned procedures, expected outcomes and potential complications clearly with patients and caregivers, using diagrams & translators when necessary
• Preoperative assessment of surgical candidates
• Work with anesthetic providers and hospital physicians
• Operate on selected candidates as scheduled
• Ongoing consultation for surgical patients
• Potential to train and mentor other Surgeons
For This Role, You Will Need
• Medical Doctor or equivalent degree
• Trained surgeon who has completed sub-specialty training in ophthalmology
• Minimum 2 years surgical experience following completion of specialty training
• Previous missions experience preferred
• Active licensure / registration in home nation
• Active in practice (within the last six months preferred)
• Able to perform Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery and remove pterygium or other ophthalmic sub-specialty (Mercy Ships does not provide retinal or glaucoma surgery)
• Oral and written fluency in English required
Full job description available upon request.