Volunteers from around the world providing free, safe surgical care, freeing people from conditions that have been burdening them for years, while training local professionals in our specialties.
These are our Operating Rooms.
Min. 2 Years
Min. 2 Years
About this Role
The Operating Room Nurse Ophthalmic Team Leader is responsible for the daily work in the Ophthalmic Operating Room, coordinating patient flow and maintaining an efficient turnover.
This role is responsible for orienting new Crew to the Ophthalmic specialty, lead team briefings, assigns tasks and to supports the nursing staff in the Ophthalmic Operating Room, making sure that everyone will flourish and feel welcomed and well trained.
Order of supply and communication with other departments if needed. To have a good communication with the Operating Room Clinical Supervisor and Operating Room Manager for reports, statistics and updates, and to coordinate the weekly and daily ophthalmic surgery schedule.
What You Will Contribute
• Coordinate patient flow together with the Ophthalmic pre and post-operative unit
• Affinity for the ophthalmic specialty and patient care
• Knowledge of ophthalmic surgeries and experience with ophthalmic surgery equipment
• Coordinate the weekly and daily ophthalmic surgery schedule
• Maintain reports, statistics and updates
• Strong administrative and leadership skills
• Ability to work and communicate professionally with managers and surgeons
• Mentor and teaching OR Nurses, as well as local doctors and nurses
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program
• Mercy Ships Alumni required; knowledge of Operating Room procedures, standards and equipment
• Ophthalmic Surgical Team Leader experience preferred
• Minimum of five years’ Operating Room Nurse experience
• Current, active license as a Registered Nurse (or its International Equivalent) with the ability to both scrub and circulate is required
• Current Basic Life Support certification is required; Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support are optional
• Written and verbal fluency in English
• Flexibility and sensitivity to language and cultural diversity
Full job description available upon request.