Though our ships may stay in port for months, they need looking after. The Deck team maintains a healthy ship to enable our our crew to bring hope and healing!
About this Role
The Chief Officer is in charge of the Deck department, responsible to the Master for the daily operation of the vessel, making sure that work is completed in a safe and efficient manner.
This position may qualify for a family cabin. If you have school-age children, learn more about Mercy Ships Academy.
What You Will Contribute
• Day-to-day supervision and care of the Deck department Crew in regards to morale and spiritual welfare
• General management and maintenance of cargo areas and operations, particularly in regards to safe handling, secure stowage, and favorable stability
• Management of all emergency station bill assignments, posting of lists, and stowaway search parties
• Treatment and handling of all potable water brought aboard, management of the on board pest control program, supervision of garbage management, and cleanliness of the exterior and holds of the vessel
• Preparation of stability calculations and documentation prior to departure from port
• Extensive knowledge of the vessel’s safety systems and Company Safety Management System
• At Sea: Being the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch at sea, under pilotage, or at anchor, if necessary
For This Role, You Will Need
• Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW A-II/2
• Valid Crowd Management certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-1
• Valid Crisis Management and Human Behaviour certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-3
• Valid Basic Training certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1
• Valid Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/2
• Valid Advanced Fire Fighting certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/3
• Valid Medical First Aid certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/4
• Valid GMDSS Operator’s license
• Successful completion of ECDIS Type Specific – Manta Digital (obtained on board)
• Certificate of Proficiency as Ship Security Officer in accordance with STCW A-VI/5 (preferred). However, must have at least successfully completed Seafarers with Designated Security Duties in accordance with STCW A-VI/6-2.
• Valid Malta Flag State Endorsement (can be obtained on board)
• Valid I/9 Medical Certificate (can be obtained on board)
Full job description available upon request.
To inquire about financial assistance for this role, please click here, to get in touch with a Recruiter.