Human Resources on the ship look after all Crew arriving and departing, living and working, extending commitments and transferring departments, with over 1,200 crew annually from over 40 different nations!
Min. 1 Year
Min. 1 Year
About this Role
The Assistant Human Resources Director supports the Ship HR Director with the management of the day-to-day human resources needs of the vessel. Provides guidance and direction for ship HR team in the areas of housing, arrivals and departures, transitions, staffing, orientation, policy management, crew engagement, crew relations, and performance management. Additionally the Assistant Human Resources Direstor serves as back up for the Ship Human Resources Director.
What You Will Contribute
• Supports the Ship HR Director with the execution of escalated tasks, priorities, and special projects.
• Supports the response to disciplinary concerns and investigations on board and ensures proper procedure and documentation is complied with.
• Partners with the Ship HR Director and Lead HR Facilitator to prioritize work for Ship HR team members to ensure successful attainment of goals.
• Trains and assists managers in HR policies, systems, processes, and procedures including giving performance reviews, managing their staff workloads, scheduling PTO, and utilization of the HRIS.
• Supports the Staff Development team with the development and execution of training related to HR practices.
• Monitors staffing levels and allocation of positions on board; facilitates and advises on adjustments as needed.
• Communicates Ship HR priorities, updates, and activities.
• Builds relationships with HR stakeholders at other locations to ensure alignment of best practices.
• Ensure daily HR operations are aligned with the organization’s core values, mission, and vision.
• Share in the support and furtherance of the Christian community through lifestyle and exhortation.
• Supervise, encourage and coach direct reports, providing regular feedback and spiritual leadership to ensure that they and their teams are functioning effectively and growing spiritually.
• Maintain current knowledge of Mercy Ships policies and procedures in regard to minimum commitments and requirements.
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program
• Supportive of Mercy Ships mission and vision, and committed to its core values
• Experience in Human Resources management with combined experience in employee relations, business partnership, policy management, employee management, and/or performance management functions preferred
• Understand and apply servant leadership, work collaboratively with integrity, and demonstrate accountability
• Able to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills
• Must enjoy working with people. Strong interpersonal skills required: must be eager to welcome, serve, support, and encourage people
• Must possess strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
• Strong computer skills required
• Ability to learn and work within custom systems and applications
• Must be self-motivated, detailed, and thorough in their work
• Ability to think ahead, plan ahead, forecast changes, needs, problems, etc.
• Must have a team-player, collaborator, upbeat, helpful, and can-do personality
• Excellent communication skills required – both written and verbal
• French language fluency desirable
• Ability to change and grow as systems are implemented to support the infrastructure of the HR process
• Must possess capacity-building and training skills
• Must have knowledge of Company Safety Management System (SMS) as it applies to the responsibilities involved in this position
• Mercy Ships experience is preferred but not required
Full job description available upon request.