The Wards are where hope and healing meet, where our patients and caregivers are looked after and loved.
A hospital like no other.
Min. 2 Years
Min. 2 Years
About this Role
The Ward Nurse Team Leader is responsible for coordinating the care of all surgery patients on the ward, which may be multiple specialties (though this role is chiefly in support of the Reconstructive Plastic Specialty). The Team Leader is in charge of the Ward on a daily basis and collaborates with a multidisciplinary team to plan patient care. Serving alongside professionals from all over the world, the Team Leader builds a strong team of Nurses and local Day Crew translators in order to deliver excellent and compassionate patient care.
What You Will Contribute
• Oversee the daily running of the ward and nursing team.
• Make collaborative decisions regarding patient management with Surgeons, Hospital Physicians, the specialty team leader and others
• Serve as a resource to nursing staff and other health care personnel regarding patient care. Provide assistance clinically, if required (complicated wound care, drain removal, etc)
• Demonstrate cultural sensitivity as a manager of local Day Crew translators and a multinational medical staff
• Partner with incoming Surgeons to determine their ward-specific needs and patient care preferences
• Develop and implement educational sessions and materials for staff and patient teaching
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program
• Mercy Ships Alumni required
• Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner with active license in home country; a minimum three years’ experience needed after licensure
• Recent inpatient surgical/medical/Emergency Room experience of at least two years full-time or three years part-time in the past 5 years AND at the point of application can show working 30 hours or more per week in an acute inpatient surgical/medical/Emergency Room setting within the past 12 months
• Current Basic Life Support certification is required; ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) desired and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) optional
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office Suite
• Leadership or management experience preferred
Full job description available upon request.