The Wards are where hope and healing meet, where our patients and caregivers are looked after and loved.
A hospital like no other.
Min. 8 Weeks
Min. 8 Weeks
This role is currently closed to applicants, but we’d love to help you find your place on board. By clicking the button below, you can sign up to receive updates when opportunities like this become available.
About this Role
Working hands-on to deliver inpatient surgical care to our patients, the Ward Nurses work around the clock to see that each and every patient receives the care and attention they deserve. Our Adult ICU Nurses primarily work on the Wards, and are assigned to the ICU when adult patients are admitted.
What You Will Contribute
• Administer holistic patient care to critically ill patients in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/High Dependency Unit when ICU patients available. Most often, ICU nurses are working on a 15 to 20 bed open ward with a multiple patient assignment of both adults and children.
• Employ recent surgical experience in providing pre- and post-operative care to patients receiving maxillofacial, reconstructive plastic, general, obstetric fistula repair, gynecological or orthopedic surgery. Experience in one of these surgical specialties preferred
• Partner with local Day Crew translators to provide culturally sensitive and compassionate care to patients
• Coordinate patient care with the specialty Team Leaders, Charge Nurses, Hospitalist Physicians and Surgeons
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program will be required for commitments of 12 months or more
• Registered Nurse with active license in home country; a minimum two years’ experience needed after licensure
• Recent ICU experience of at least one year full-time or three years part-time in the past 5 years AND at the point of application can show working 30 hours or more per week in an acute inpatient surgical/medical/Emergency Room or ICU setting within the past 12 months
• Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required; ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) preferred and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) optional
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with fluency in English
• An ability to effectively work with others in a cross-cultural environment
• It should be noted our ward beds are lower than average and are non-adjustable, which may prove to be a problem to anyone with a chronic back issue
Full job description available upon request.