Finding patients for Mercy Ships surgical programs will be the most rewarding search in which you have ever participated. Bringing hope and healing happens in many different ways. Join our Screening Team, and experience first-hand how special it is to give hope to people who thought surgery was not accessible for them.
Min. 10 Months
Min. 10 Months
About this Role
The Screening Clinic Nurse works independently at the Mercy Ships Patient Referral Center in the port city where the ship is docked to evaluate, assess and prioritize potential patients for Mercy Ships surgical programs.
The Screening Clinic Nurse works with a small team of local Day Crew who will help with translation, and in all things, aims for the best patient experience. This includes having the most accurate and up-to-date medical knowledge available, having good logistics in place and safe and culturally appropriate working practices.
What You Will Contribute
• Work independently at the Referral Center in the port city where the ship is docked
• Schedule patients during primary patient selection activities
• Patient assessments, focused on surgical complaints, general health and tropical diseases
• Review potential patient with our very own Patient Referral mobile phone app
• Work with the Screening Clinical Supervisor on patient flow and maintaining a waitlist versus scheduling patients for secondary patient selection
• Work with the Screening Administrative Assistant to refer patients to the Referral Center and on logistical and equipment needs
• Spend time at the ship’s location with the Screening Nurses to keep up to date on Mercy Ships Surgical Scope of Practice
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program
• Registered Nurse with active license in home country
• Strong clinical experience, for example in ICU/NICU/MC/ED
• Clinical assessment skills required
• Mercy Ships hospital experience required
• Experience with Mercy Ships patient selection process preferable
• Knowledge of Mercy Ships Surgical Scope of Practice
• Driving license and willing to drive in Africa desirable
Full job description available upon request.