The Hospital is where hope and healing meet, where our patients and caregivers are looked after and loved.
A hospital like no other.
Min. 2 Years
Min. 2 Years
Please carefully read the role description and required certifications below to verify that you meet the requirements. The apply button can be found at the bottom of this page.
About this Role
With so many volunteers and challenging programmatic plans each field service, the Chief Medical Officer is there to keep the whole team on track and cultivate the best possible patient journey through hope and healing.
The Chief Medical Officer coordinates the physicians, surgeons, dentists, radiologists and anesthesiologists who serve with the Hospital providing medical expertise and guidance with an emphasis on improving the quality of care. Functions as the Hospital Director’s counterpart regarding medical decisions.
What You Will Contribute
• Provide medical leadership for the Hospital.
• Responsible for coordinating and guide the medical professionals serving with the Hospital and Crew Clinic.
• Provide medical advice and consent functions regarding patient care to physicians, nurses, and ancillary services.
• Collaborate with medical professionals serving onboard to develop decisive medical treatment plans in critical patient care issues. Final medical authority lies with the Chief Medical Officer.
• Oversees the preparation of agenda and materials for the monthly Hospital Review Board.
• Assists with the review process for medical professionals applying for service in the Hospital.
• Participate in the continuing professional education, in service training, and orientation of clinical staff.
• Provides leadership and direction to the hospital physicians in execution of their duties and responsibilities as delegated to them.
• Responsible for performance evaluations of medical professionals under their direct supervision; recommends or participates in final determination of disciplinary actions, suspensions, or terminations as applicable.
• Responsible to the Managing Director and the International Chief Medical Officer timely administration and fulfillment of Chief Medical Officer’s functions, responsibilities, authority, and relationships.
• Medical consultant to members of Ship’s Management regarding the health care aspect.
• Medical consultant to the Hospital Director when medical knowledge or interpretation is required.
• Support and assist the Captain, Crew Physician, and Lead Dentist in caring for the needs of the crew, and in maintaining safe and healthy conditions on the ship.
• Collaborate with the Hospital Director and other department heads to facilitate a hospital environment that reflects core values and a commitment to excellence.
• Assist and provide input to International Chief Medical Office in the development of organizational medical policies.
• Responsible for implementation of organizational medical management policies onboard.
• Provide feedback to the International Chief Medical Office on the medical performance of Specialty Consultants and Lead Surgeons.
• Serve as member of Senior Management Team onboard.
• Provide spiritual leadership for department by organizing regular devotional and prayer times.
• Share in the support and furtherance of Christian community through lifestyle and exhortation.
• Supervise, encourage, and coach direct reports, providing regular feedback and spiritual leadership to ensure that they and their teams are functioning effectively and growing spiritually.
For This Role, You Will Need
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program
• MD, MBBS, DO, DDS, BDS, or equivalent with NGO related experience, with active and current license.
• Previous Mercy Ships experience preferred.
• Successful completion of On Boarding is required.
• Professional experience in an international, cross-cultural setting desirable.
• Prior experience working in developing world preferred.
• Supportive of Mercy Ships mission and vision, and committed to its core values.
• Understand and apply servant leadership, work collaboratively with integrity and demonstrate accountability.
• Able to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills.
• Strong leadership and communication skills.
• Strong understanding of roles and function of the Hospital.
• Excellent communication skills required – both written and verbal.
• French language fluency desirable.
• Full, clean, international driver’s permit required. Will be expected to drive as part of departmental responsibilities.
Full job description available upon request.