Our very own medical lab on the ship, enabling us to analyse clinical specimens on site and make withdrawals from the best blood bank in the world: our Crew!
Hospital Support Services
Min. 3 Months
Please carefully read the role description and required certifications below to verify that you meet the requirements. The apply button can be found at the bottom of this page.
About this Role
The Medical Laboratory Technologist is responsible for independently applying advanced technical skills and knowledge in the analysis of clinical specimens and provision of data used for diagnosis and treatment of patients.
What You Will Contribute
- Perform diagnostic testing in hematology, clinical chemistry, microbiology, parasitology, immunohematology (blood banking/transfusion service), immunology, and cytology/histology preparations according to established procedures.
- Perform and analyze quality control measures for all methods, make appropriate decisions regarding accuracy of results, and solve quality control/patient result problems.
- Assist in procedures to maintain, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory equipment.
- Perform venipuncture, and finger sticks on patients of all ages, and blood donor phlebotomy.
- Assist with laboratory supply inventory, usage assessment, and the laboratory supply needs lists.
- Appropriately operate clinical laboratory instrumentation.
- Read and interpret technical instructions in English (procedure manuals, manufacturer’s inserts/user guides) and apply learned scientific and medical principles to unfamiliar procedures.
- Distinguish between valid and invalid laboratory data, distinguish between normal and abnormal patient results, and record results accurately.
- Assist in periodic assessment and updates of laboratory documentation.
- Conform to medical laboratory safety practices and procedures.
- Due to the ever-changing staffing levels and field service rotations, all staff may be re-assigned to temporarily fill roles in other departments in a time of need.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Laboratory Technologist.
For This Role, You Will Need
- US Applicants: Bachelor of Science, and certification as a Medical Technologist, Medical Laboratory Scientist, or Clinical Laboratory Scientist by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or National Certification Agency (NCA) or certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), HEW certificate, or equivalent credential from one of the above agencies.
- Non-US Applicants: Degree/diploma for Medical Laboratory Scientist or equivalent and certification and/or registration from a recognized national source.
- At least one year of generalist laboratory experience in a medical laboratory after diploma and up-to-date certification.
- Proficiency working in the following diagnostic clinical laboratory disciplines within the past two years: hematology, chemistry, blood bank (immunohematology/transfusion service), medical microbiology and phlebotomy. Applicant must be independently competent with minimal orientation.
- Fluent in written and verbal English.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and organize workflow.
- Requires flexibility and sensitivity to language & cultural diversity.
- Computer skills required, including proficiency with Microsoft 365 – specifically Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Must be able to distinguish color to read/interpret medical imaging documents (cannot be colorblind).
Full job description available upon request.