We deeply care about our Crew and their spiritual and emotional well-being. We are so grateful for this team of Chaplains, who support Crew in the best and most difficult times, while reminding us of the life we have in Jesus.
Min. 2 Years
Min. 2 Years
About this Role
As our Chaplain/Counselor, you will care for the emotional and spiritual well-being of the crew as part of the Chaplaincy team. You will be available in a private office, walk through the ship, or grab a cup of coffee in the café, checking on the Crew and connecting with them.
You will use your counseling skills and creativity to work with the multi-national, multi-cultural crew, from every ship department and with all ages. Provide a safe and confidential harbor for the crew to share their burdens.
What You Will Contribute
• Meet with crew individually and in groups to process emotional and spiritual concerns
• Serve as a listener and encourager
• Lead, host, and/or facilitate small groups
• Teach in Community Gatherings and Sunday night services
• Listen and encourage; should be one who is known and trusted by others
• Assess interests, aptitudes, abilities and personality for personal growth
• Counsel and mentor those in spiritual need and comfort the bereaved
• Provide crisis intervention in emergency situations
• Offer critical incident stress debriefing for individuals and teams
• Connect with, visit, and keep up with any Crew who are seriously ill
For This Role, You Will Need
• To be a mature individual who has recognized spiritual maturity
• A Master’s degree and licensure in counseling or social work required.
• Must have traveled internationally for at least two years and/or have extensive experience living in a multicultural Christian community
• Successful completion of Mercy Ships Onboarding program will be required
• Flexibility and creativity in methods of counseling the multi-national, multi-cultural Crew
Full job description available upon request.